Saturday, April 26, 2014

Book Review-The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen

The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years, #1)The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was such a sweet college romance. I loved everything about the story-the plot, the characters, the writing. For me, this was a unique storyline that totally kept my interest throughout the entire book. Everything flowed quite well and the pacing was perfect.

The story itself captures the emotions of moving away to college on your own in addition to the extra emotions from doing so while adapting to and dealing with injuries that have left the main female character without the use of her legs. Throw in coping with feelings for said character’s dorm-mate and you’ve got a story that pulls you in and has you experiencing the emotions right alongside the characters. And what great characters the author has created.

Corey is a very strong female lead, coping relatively well with her situation after her accident and her physical limitations. Hartley is your typical alpha male swoon-worthy lead with his own issues to deal with from his injury as well as his own other personal issues. The way they slowly come together first as friends and later as more makes for an excellent read that you won’t want to put down. The supporting characters are interesting and add some fun to the story (especially Bridger, whose story I can’t wait to read next).

The author deals with the difficulties of both Corey’s and Hartley’s respective injuries very well, integrating them into the story while not making the story solely focused on them…the story is focused on their relationship with their physical and other personal issues adding depth and some conflict without letting those things overwhelm the story.

There are a couple of steamy scenes, so I would advise 18+ for the audience for this book. My rating is 5 stars, a book I will definitely re-read in the future. I’d also like to toss a thank you out to the author for a well written book from the grammar and editing perspective, I might have seen maybe only 2 or 3 of these types of errors in the entire book (which I can’t even remember now, they were so inconsequential). Excellent book, and I can’t wait to read more from this author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment