Monday, December 28, 2015

Book Review: LAST WISH by Erin Butler




Goodreads Synopsis

Nothing feels right. Not since my best friend died and I f*cked up the one promise he asked me to make. The past follows me everywhere, tangling me up like weeds, reminding me that my life is empty. So f*cking empty. 

Then she walks into the bar, all bright beauty and sweet lips made for kissing. 

Em Stewart is a complication...one I need to avoid. She’s got heavy secrets of her own, ones she hides from her friends—and lies about to herself. 

No matter how hard I try, I can't resist her, and our unexpected road trip sure as hell isn’t helping my cause. But I’ll be damned if I screw up my first chance at something real...



My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Let me start off by saying that overall, I though Last Wish was a decent read, and it did pass the time for me. I really liked the characters, and Ronan was my favorite with his tortured self.

I wasn’t really a fan of how the information for Ronan’s and Em’s backstories was doled out. It made it harder for me to relate to them and how their relationship unfolded since I really didn’t have a complete view of their characters until later in the story. It also felt like several of the characters didn’t have quite the maturity level to match where they currently are supposed to be in life; their actions felt like they were still in high school.

Ronan and Em together, though…they worked really well, but the way their story was told felt like it didn’t flow well-it felt kind of jumpy (that’s the best way I can explain it, sorry if it’s not coming across right). Also, I did think the big scene with Nate toward the end kind of came out of the blue as we really didn’t have any kind of indication earlier that he would have had that kind of behavior in him. Yes, I could see a conflict scene at that point…just not as big of a twist as what we got.

One thing this story did do though, is make me really curious about Kelsey and Chase’s story, which was in the first book of the series-which I have not read yet. Last Wish can be read as a standalone, though if you haven’t read the first book yet, you’ll probably be curious about it like I am as Chase comes across as a really great character.

3 stars for Last Wish, recommended for 18+…and be advised it does have a scene toward the end that may be a trigger for some readers (permanent self-harm).

View all my reviews

Buy Links


Author Links



No comments:

Post a Comment