Sunday, August 12, 2012

Lizards and Butterflies


Sunday morning miles--start at 80 degrees-->84 degrees, 83% humidity-->75% humidity

Um, yeah...can you say sweaty?  I had to peel my clothes off afterward.  But that’s 4.15 miles done with the rest of the day ahead to enjoy.  I’m very glad I have a haircut this afternoon as even with my hair in a ponytail thru the back of my hat, it’s gotten long enough that it was sticking to the top of my back, neck and shoulders.  While I wouldn’t mind my hair growing longer, it’s just too annoying for workouts.  I could always pigtail it, but I’ve got way too many layers cut in to try in an attempt get some body out of my very fine hair, so braids just wind up having hair sticking out every which way.

So, I had a couple of peeves going on today.  First--attention all SoFla lizards!  While I respect the fact that you are animals who live outside so pretty much everywhere outside is your home, why oh why oh why do you have to wait until the very last second as I’m coming by to race from one side of the sidewalk to the other?  You have been very lucky so far, but I refuse to hurt myself pulling up or over-lunging to miss stepping on you guys...one of these days it’ll be SQUISH! And at this point I won’t feel badly about it.

Second--my town is actually very fitness-friendly with miles and miles of sidewalks and bike lanes as well as 14 parks plus a YMCA center in our 27-square mile town of just over 65,000 residents.  In fact, most of the sidewalks here are usually 1.5 times as wide as your average sidewalk with many areas at least 2 to 2.5 times as wide.  We have tons (yes, I’m not exaggerating) of cyclists and dozens of bike groups that ride out here, from packs of 2-4 people to well over 100 at a time that will zoom by as I’m doing my miles.  It’s actually pretty exhilarating to be walking or running along and have such large groups flying by.

That said, there are some cyclists to choose not to use the bike lanes and instead ride on the sidewalks.  And I’m fine with that, especially when there’s kids riding.  But when I’m walking or running along all the way to one side of the sidewalk and you are riding two abreast, why do you think that I’m the one who has to move over into the grass while you pass by?  Seriously, and with our sidewalks being as wide as they are?  In the state of Florida, the law says you have to yield the right of way to pedestrians, not the other way around.

Sorry, but this happened to me twice this week so it makes me grumble.

On the “it makes you smile” side today--lots of butterflies out this morning, even as humid as it was.  Made me want to stop and try to get one to land on my hand (love it when they do that), but they were more interested in the flowers than me.  They did make me smile as I passed by though.  Not used to seeing them out early in the morning when it’s still so humid out.  Maybe it’s a sign summer weather will give way to fall weather sooner.  Yeah, not likely but I can dream, right?  In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the butterflies :-)


Oh...only 7 weeks left until the Tower of Terror 10 miler!  

2 comments:

  1. 83% humidity. Yuck. Just yuck. My husband and I might be moving to central Florida in a couple years and as much as I love visiting friends and family in the area, the humidity and the bugs have me a little less excited...now, the ability to do all Disney's runs every year, that might balance it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it's usually only like that for half the year...late fall thru early spring is much better (especially for bugs!). During the week I usually go out after work, as close to sunset as possible without it being dark out. The temps might be a little higher then than in the morning, but the humidity is much better. Very early mornings humidity can be 90-99% in the summer while evenings are usually 85% or less...believe me, as yucky as 80% sounds, 90%+ is infinitely worse. Really. Come on fall, get here quick!

    ReplyDelete