Saturday, October 3, 2009

10/3/09-Introduction to me

Hello everyone...I'm Carra and this is my first blog on this site. I am 39 years old and live in Southeast Florida (extreme Western Broward county, right before you hit the Everglades). I've lived down here almost all my life (yup, that's right, a native Floridian!) except for 5 years while I was up in northwest mountains of North Carolina going to school---go Appalachian State! I want to use this blog to record my journey as I lose weight and become a runner who eventually completes a full marathon.

I actually started this journey back in September 2008 when I re-acquainted myself with the Sparkpeople.com website. It is an amazing FREE site that has nutrition and fitness trackers and offers teams tailored to all sorts of things-your age, geographic location, interests, etc-where you can connect with others in your same (or similar) situation to get and provide support. There are tons of articles on nutrition, fitness, motivation and more. I could spend hours on there every day just learning (and sometimes I do).

When I started, I weighed 252.2 pounds and really never bothered getting any form of exercise other than the stairs at work. I started walking almost every day...not far, maybe 1-2 miles at a time. By the start of this summer, I had lost 37.2 pounds (I'm currently at 215). Sometime in late December '08 I ran across an article on Sparkpeople that had a guide to prepare you to complete a 5K. I thought "hey, I could do that" and so I started browsing the internet for other information. I started following their plan and being running across other information and somehow I found information about Disney's Princess Half Marathon weekend. I saw they had a 5K that weekend too and thought that would be a great first 5K for me. And so I set out to prepare for it. It was not a timed race, just a "fun run" type thing. They did have a 15 minute/mile pace requirement so I was concentrating my effort on meeting that. I wound up finishing in 47:37 (timed on my heart rate monitor watch), a 15:21 minute/mile pace. I was 224 pounds at the time.

My 2nd 5K was 5/25/09 and I didn't really do any kind of preparation for it. This was a timed race and I finished in 47:58, a 15:35 minute/mile pace. A little slower than my first one (but I am not sure the time from my first one is correct since it is not "official") but I was still happy with it since I wasn't really prepared to "race" it. I was 215 pounds for this race.

I have another 5K Halloween morning. I am still at the 215 pound mark---this summer I wasn't really watching my nutrition and was erratic with my exercising. I have gotten back into the groove of things now as I am signed up for my first half marathon in January---at Disney of course! It is on January 9th (my godson's birthday---he and his parents will hopefully be joining me there) and I start my official training plan this Monday, 10/5/09. I plan on walk/running it as I will not be at the point where I can run the whole thing by then. I will be blogging about my journey to my first half marathon and my continuing weight loss journey here.

Hope I don't bore anyone...but this is mostly meant as an outlet for me so I have a log of my journey. You are welcome to come along with me and offer any insight you may have...anything to make this more fun and fruitful is appreciated!

Carra

No comments:

Post a Comment